Local Punks

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Lackluster at Trophy's

http://www.myspace.com/lacklustertexas

Last night I was at Trophy's for a Comic Con after party show.  Not as many nerds as I would have liked to see, but there were a few.  One guy walked in holding a wizard's staff.  I'm sure it'll be better tonight.  You gotta love the nerds. 
Winston from Muchos Backflips is running sound and he said that he was also booking for the club now too.  Amanda Lepre went on first and did an acoustic thing that seemed like it was never going to end(she spent more time pimping her video game band to the delight of the nerds), and then the punk show started.
The Beat Dolls rocked the stage all dressed in black, like the human version of the bar band from Star Wars, followed by a San Antonio band called Lackluster.                    
I listened to their mp3s on myspace this morning.  Now I think the mix should have been better for them last night.  I don't know if it was a stage volume problem or a mix problem, but the vocals weren't up front like this band deserves.  Lackluster's songs are full of rich harmonies and clever lyrics, but I didn't get it until I listened to the recorded stuff.

All that said, this is a tight, entertaining band and the force was strong in them.  They had good sounding gear, and they new how to use it.  After then, just like the poor planet of Alderaan, the punk show was silenced!

Another San Antonio band called Education took the stage and put out their "I just rolled out of bed, threw something on, didn't bother to comb my hair, and here I am" vibe and I was outta there.  Don't get me wrong, I gave it a chance.  They were great musicians if you're into that kind of 101X radio mush that's trendy right now, but it just wasn't for me. 

Outside, we talked quite a bit to the Lacklusters, and exchanged contact information for the booking people that we know in our respective cities.  Yes, Trophy's paid.  It was not enough to cover the gas of an out of town band in one vehicle round trip from San Antonio, but they also gave each band a six pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon which is worth about 3 bucks.  By my calculations, Trophy's made out like bandits.  For a five dollar door charge on a decent crowd drinking from the bar, they hired 13 musicians for $112.  Come on people, it's time for a revolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment