Local Punks

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Ha!

I snatched up Austin Punk Rock.  This is post #1.  I guess the purpose of this is to figure out the punk rock scene here in town and help promote it and nourish it back to health.  Eventually, I'd like to put together an invitation only industry night to all the punk bands.

The reason I think this is necessary is because running a band is hard work and it forces you to be self absorbed.  Whenever people ask me about my band, they always say, "you ever heard of _____?"  I find myself never knowing the band that they are talking about, and I know a lot of bands.  My memory is almost super human, so I know for a fact that I have never even heard of a lot of bands, not even a mention or a name on a sticker somewhere.

Above I mentioned invitation only and I don't want to send the wrong impression.  I only want industry people that can help each other.  They did this thing in Dallas when I was up there.  From 7 to 9 it was all bands and industry people, like photographers and recording guys.

You brought in a Demo, handed it to the DJ, and he played at least one song off of it.  There were discounted drinks as a thank you from the venue, and at 9pm all of the fans for all the bands would show up and hang out with the bands and watch a local show on stage.

It was a great way to build a fan base, which meant that you were becoming more and more marketable to the clubs, which is how we measure success in this town.

I'm gonna kick things off by sending out a questionnaire to every punk band with an email address that I can find.  I'll give a deadline to see which bands actually read their emails daily.  Then, I'll put up all of the replies and all of the band's names, so that you know who said what.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment